Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Big Plans - Third Album

I've been thinking a lot, of late, about how I want my third album to sound. I think I'm going to play more piano on the third album, and less of the synthesized electronic sounds. It would be inaccurate to state that I was "going acoustic" or something.....a musician of my caliber doesn't "go acoustic"....he experiments with different sound textures, rhythm styles, and layers effects and/or instruments.

I really think it is important to plan out the first 5 or 6 albums. The third album is clearly one where it becomes safe to branch out and introduce new styles that differ from past work. I'll admit, I intend to sell out a bit with the first album just to make a name for myself. It will be heavily influenced by electronica pop music. I like that music, but it is more formulaic than what the third album will be. I guess what I'm trying to say is that in order to bring my third album to the masses, I need to make a big name for myself with the first two albums.

Let's be clear on this - it has nothing to do with a desire for fame.....rather, in order to achieve my goal of bringing inner peace and clarity to as many people as possible, as my third album will do, I will need to become bigger than Bono by the time it is released.

Whew, it really feels good to get that off my chest. I know that many millions of people will enjoy my first two albums, because it will rock out. It will deliver the wall of sound. But my true intent, as a musician, will be to deliver the third album. After that, a couple of remix albums and a best-of will round out the first 6 albums. I haven't decided what album 7 will be like yet. It would be stupid to plan that far ahead, as I'm sure you all agree. Still, I'm considering an album of duets, or else an album where I utilize a choir of 10,000 children for the final 3 songs. It isn't clear yet....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That could be a great name for the third album too... "Bigger Than Bono"... But it's good that you'd want to go back to your roots, to have a more classic, down-to-earth feel. I'm sure that after the immense popularity of the first two albums (amazing how quickly they're going to go double platinum), this will open your fans up to a wider range of musical genres.

Anonymous said...

May I suggest as a first single (scheduled for release next summer) a poppy electronic song which is based around a sample of the drum/bass line from "My Sharona", but with some funky fresh lyrics about you and your girl going on a trip together.

I call this "the Kid Rock Approach".

All radio stations worldwide will play this song endlessly starting next June for 8 weeks.

Your fame is 100% guaranteed. After that, it's up to you.