Friday, January 9, 2009

Experimentation - Acoustic meets Electronic

Time for some fun, kids.

You can share this one with your gramma, after she's had her evening hot toddy.

It's just a happy little number made using Ableton Live's happy little sounds. I've got Gigs and Gigs of samples of strings, oboes, etc.....so, I used a bit of it in this tune. A cello, violin, oboe, ride cymbal (wait for it) and the rest is electronic stuff.

The idea for this song started this evening from the pulsing electronic background that you hear starting this song - I always planned to mix cello and electronic together, and today it worked for me.

In my head.....this song is kind of about birth - a seed is sprouting (fast motion videography) and growing into something big.

There is oboe in this song - I added it last, and I'm not convinced that I should have put it in - perhaps not necessary.

My favourite part of this whole song is the ride cymbal that is used only once. Man, I loved doing that!

Using these sampled analog instruments is a blast - I've read some interesting articles about people who have careers making orchestral style music - on their home studios using only computers and sampled music. Next step - get the microphones to do some vocals, and record the acoustic piano I have in the other room.

ps. This tune is loop-free. I didn't actually use patterns like I usually do - this was beginning-to-end recording of each track, a little different than my "norm".

Check it out cool cats: http://www.box.net/shared/c2ynvqdrfe
Word to your mothers.

No comments: